Sixty-one years ago today (the 19th fell on a Saturday in 1959, too) dozens of clergy, multitudes of Missionary Sisters, a judge, the captain of the 34th Precinct, and various others including “an author of Marian plays and filmstrips” gathered for the consecration of the main altar of the brand-new…

Mother Cabrini took the name Xavier when she became a religious on October 15, 1874. Her dream since childhood was to become a missionary like the great Francis Xavier.  On December 3, 1900, aboard a ship from Genoa to Buenos Aires, she wrote the following to the Missionary Sisters: “Saint…

In September of 1899, Mother Cabrini purchased property at 701 Fort Washington Avenue. The land overlooked the majestic Hudson River and offered serenity, good air, and proximity to the city. She immediately re-named the estate Sacred Heart Villa. Bustling with life, Sacred Heart Villa served as a reception house for…

© 2015 St. Frances Cabrini Shrine.
Top