Enjoy this video where Fr. Jim Martin, SJ takes us on a virtual pilgrimage of the Shrine

Mass Times

Sunday: 9:30 am and 11:00 am, English
3:00 pm Spanish
Tuesday-Saturday: 12:00 pm English

Plan an Event

Mother Cabrini Shrine is available for weddings, funerals and baptisms. We also have a variety of retreat and conference facilities.

Call 212.923.3536 for more information.

about_small_2

Located in northern Manhattan, St. Frances Cabrini Shrine overlooks the tranquil banks of the Hudson River. The Shrine houses the precious remains of our beloved St. Frances Xavier Cabrini. In 1899, Mother Cabrini discovered this property as she drove her horse and buggy to what was then a remote northwest edge of New York City. She purchased the present property at 190th St. and Fort Washington Avenue. Mother Cabrini always found great peace of mind and personal tranquility whenever she visited this site.

In 1933 the Sisters brought the body of Mother Cabrini from West Park, New York to the Mother Cabrini High School Chapel. In 1938, at the time of Mother Cabrini’s beatification, her precious remains were placed in a glass-enclosed coffin to rest beneath the altar.

Frances Cabrini was canonized in 1946. So many people came to visit the Chapel that a new Shrine was needed to accomodate all the visitors. In 1957, ground was broken for the new Shrine of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini. On December 22, 1959, Mother Cabrini’s body was transferred from the High School Chapel to the new Shrine’s altar where she now rests.

about_small_2

The pictorial mosaic that surrounds the altar is outstanding in its artisanship and message. It depicts Mother Cabrini’s life as a devout child, through her meetings with Pope Leo XIII, after which he sent her to America to minister to immigrant Italians in need. This mosaic, recently restored, is priceless and irreplaceable. The stained glass in the Shrine is also an architectural and spiritual treasure. It is remarkable because the designers and artisans combined 2 different approaches: pieced stained glass, and paint, to make the figures more lifelike. In particular, the 3-story image of Mother Cabrini and her symbols at the back of the chapel, have detail and shape unseen in mid-century or earlier works.